Today I have an interesting yard sign to show you.
It’s from a small local business called Nickens Lawn & Landscape.
The founder Nick – after years of experimenting – has created a recipe for making almost every yard sign convert better.
He boiled it down to five essential elements.
This yard sign has roughly 5 subtle techniques that you can use in your marketing.
Let’s break it down.
- Follow The Purple Elephant Rule – When choosing a background color for your yard signs, Nick noticed the color to choose is context-dependent, meaning, the best background depends on the yard signs around it. For example, in his neighborhood, the majority of yard signs were white. So instead of using the same color, he used a black background … and instantly it made a difference. Now, go and drive around your target area and notice what background colors are typical in those areas. Then try choosing a background color that stands out amongst every other sign.
- Pass the “First Line” Test – Businesses like to clutter their signs with a list of all of their services. But for yard signs … “If you try to say three things, you say none”. So make sure the first line of your yard sign explains a single thing your target market wants. In this example, his target market wants (PAVER PATIOS). This way people driving by can instantly know what you offer. And if they’re curious to know what else you offer. They can just Google your company name.
- Where is your phone number? – At first, Nick always used to place his phone number at the bottom of his sign. However, he noticed people in their cars would have to pull over and walk up to his sign, just to note down his number. Imagine all the potential loss of business for the people who DIDN’T get out of their car. That’s why Nick places his phone number under the first line … making it easier for people to write down his phone while sitting in their cars.
- High-Quality Logo = – Some businesses don’t care about how well their logos look. But for yard signs that will spell disaster. The truth is … people assign the quality of your service in proportion to the quality of your logo design. Therefore, the better and “higher perceived” quality your logo … the more people assume your service is high quality. Your logo is especially important for new customers since they don’t know who you are.
- BIG BOLD LETTERS – The number one thing that is costing you sales … is people driving by and not stopping to write down your phone number off of your signs. This is why you should say a few things and those few things must be BOLDED.
Go ahead and give those tips a stab.
Then, after you’ve done that - check out SimpleCrew
You can download SimpleCrew on your smartphone to boost your sign marketing success.
For example, when you’re driving around and placing signs at strategic locations (such as telephone poles, intersections, supermarkets) …
… you can open the app and use it to snap a photo of your yard signs or bandit signs.
And in doing so, it will SimpleCrew help to:
- Remember where you’ve placed your signs (which is best if you constantly have to pick up and redeploy your signs due to local laws)
- Keep all your data secure in one place (eliminate spreadsheets, email threads, cloud storages)
- Manage different yard signs campaigns
- Track and monitor the progress of your sign campaigns (great if you have one or more sign placers more putting out signs)
- And that is just to mention a few benefits.
Test drive it and see for yourself 🙂